personal space

9.01.2008

What's the story with people not respecting the boundries of personal space? Isn't there some unwritten, unspoken rule about not invading another person's buffer zone?

On the beach this summer, we encounter
ed one too many people creepin' up onto our space, to the point of utter ridiculousness! A few weeks ago, we were chillin' at the beach at Cape Henlopen park in Lewes, Delaware, when out of nowhere this family of 5 comes rollin' up right next to us and set up a canopy tent! First of all, a canopy tent? Are you kidding me... it's the beach, not a wedding. I could have reached my arm into their tent, grabbed a drink from their cooler and high-fived all 5 people - that's how close they were to us. It was ridiculous! So we moved over to maintain the appropriate buffer zone.

Then, this past week I was at the Philadelphia Museum of
Art and was taken aback by the lack of ettiquette displayed by my fellow museum-goers. I would be standing in front of a painting, admiring the work, when someone would stick their bulbous head in front of mine to get a closer look or to read the description. That, or they would stand way too close, right in my personal space zone. Just give me a foot or two people, jeez!

I swear, I think more and more people are becoming self-centered, to the point where they forget how much their actions affect other people. The next time someone invades my personal space, I think I'll move closer just to give the
m a taste of their own medicine.




0 comments: