Days Ten & Eleven: Over the Hump

2.05.2012

Well, it's official -- I am more than halfway through the detox.  While I'm definitely looking forward to certain things, like berries, wine, and maybe a tortilla chip or two, I'm not dying to be done with this process.  It's funny because what I'm finding to be the most difficult part of this process is actually what I'm loving most about it: mindfulness.  This detox has been an exercise in self-awareness and being mindful of what I'm eating, why I'm eating it, and how it makes me feel.  It's kind of a pain is the arse to think so much about everything I eat (including shopping for it, prepping it, and cooking it), but it makes me realize how mindless my eating used to be. No bueno. 

I spent a lot of time this weekend reading The Paleo Solution, and thinking about my priorities for life after February 15 (the final day of the detox).  Based on everything I've read recently, and based on how I'm feeling, I have at least two priorities for post-detox life: cutting gluten out of my life, and getting plenty of sleep every night, not just on weekends.  Wanna know what "plenty of sleep" looks like?  It looks like me rising naturally at 7:30 on a Sunday morning, rested and ready to go.  I used to view sleep as something that interfered with life (like a kid almost, "oh man, I have to go to bed??") , and now I'm realizing that plentiful sleep enhances life, and health (Ah man, I get to go to bed!").  Sleep is my new tortilla chip.

Well, speaking of sleep, it's about that time.  I had planned on re-capping the events and meals of weekend, but frankly, I'm being seduced by the thought of sleep.  So, here's the weekend in a nutshell: read, showed apartment to potential tenant, watched 90210, went grocery shopping, read, made dinner (big salad), watched "The Help", slept, read, showed apartment to potential tenant, prepped and cooked food for the week, cleaned the house, did laundry, read, made dinner (tacos in lettuce shells), watched a few commercials during the Super Bowl, blogged, went to bed.

 All in all, a great "hump" weekend.  It's all downhill from here.  Happy hump, y'all.

0 comments: