Signs

4.01.2011

Some days, when making decisions, I feel rather indifferent and ultimately find myself questioning whether I've chosen the the right thing or am following my true path

Today was not one of those days.

I recently made the decision to stop thinking about writing a book and to actually start doing it.  I have the story in me; it's just a matter of learning the logistics and how-to's of writing a memoir.  Part of my process entails reading a lot of books on writing, particularly those on writing memoirs, but where do you start?  There is so much information available these days, and while that is a wonderful thing, it can also be daunting to have to weed through it all and find precisely what you're looking for and what speaks to you.

Today on my lunch break, I went across the street to the Borders (which is closing! sigh...) to continue my search for any books that would help demystify the writing and/or publishing process.  After looking through a few relevant books that seemed just fine, I found a book that seemed just right.  It was called Shimmering Images: A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir, by Lisa Dale Norton.  I liked how, as promised in the title, it was little; it felt like a manageable read that offered practical tips and insights on how to bring your story to the surface.  Beyond being practical, however, the author woo'ed me with her perspective and language.  She talked about things like grace, compassion, and the transformative power of sharing our stories.  For me, writing is a deeply spiritual experience, and the initial vibe I got from this book seemed to validate and honor that perspective.  So, I bought it.

I should note that the memoir I am writing is about my family and the incredible experiences we shared during the last six weeks of my dad's life.  It is not a sad story of loss, nor is it an account of the grief that accompanies and follows great loss; rather, it is a story of miracles and grace and humor, and deep, abiding love. 

As soon as I was able to, I opened the book and started reading it.  Within the first few pages, I received two distinct signs that I was indeed reading the right book for me at the right time, and that I was following my true path.  To explain those signs and their significance would take me more time than I have right now, but I'll just say that they were clear, relevant signals representing (1) what I consider to be the physical manifestation of my dad's spirit, and (2), the cultivation of something I have been praying for in recent weeks.  So, within five to ten pages, I knew deep in my heart that I had picked up the book that would transform me from wanna-be-writer to writer-for-real, and that the story I want to tell is indeed the story I need to tell. 


As the title eludes to, this book is about understanding the power of those shimmering images that are forever stored in your mind.  You know, the ones that are like snapshots of certain memories, captured in time, alive in your mind, pulsating with just enough energy to make them shimmer ever so slightly.  Lisa Dale Norton explains these potent memories as the bedrock of stories.  These snapshot memories shimmer and ripple in our minds because they are full of the energy of the story-to-be.  They are more than just vivid memories; they are the keys that unlock the stories of who we are, where we've been, what we've experienced. 

When I think of those last weeks with Dad, I have a series of shimmering images that play in my mind, that both haunt and delight me.  I have an image of Dad clapping over the prospect of chocolate cake after a pot roast dinner.  And then there's the image of him in his wheelchair, struggling to lean over the sink and brush his teeth in the final days of his life; this is forever burned into my memory.  And finally, one of the most potent visual memories I have is of the silhouette of my dad laying in his rented hospital bed in the bay window of his bedroom, in the fading afternoon light.  I can still see the texture and color of the blanket that covered him, and the position of his hands, and the softness of the light as it came in through the sheer curtains.


Anyhow, I am so smitten with this book and this author that when I came home from work, I went on Twitter and searched for Lisa Dale Norton.  No dice - she is not on Twitter.  So I decided to search for her book instead, thinking that maybe she used the book title rather than her name.  I typed "Shimmering Images" into the search box and hit enter.  No dice - the book was not on Twitter, either.  

But... what appeared was something far greater. Not the author nor the book, but a random tweet from a person that had used the phrase "shimmering images" in his tweet.  As if spoken directly to me, it said ..."those shimmering images of your father are there for a reason"...

Chills.

I'm starting to understand the reason.

5 comments:

Heather said...

WHOA.

Flora Loveday said...

This is an absolutely touching post - very well written. I actually was emotionally charged after reading it (which is rare for me I must say).

I look forward to reading your book!

Flora

Flora Loveday said...

This is an absolutely touching post - very well written. I actually was emotionally charged after reading it (which is rare for me I must say).

I look forward to reading your book!

Flora

Jen said...

Heather - I know, right? Whoa.

Flora - Thanks so much for the kind words. It's nice knowing that the words we put out there into the world affect others. Stay tuned for the memoir :)

McGhee said...

oh my god, chills.